The National Enquirer pictures show Weiner protectively posing in a pair of pantihose and a bra as he smiles cheekily at the camera.
In another photo an oiled Weiner poses in y-fronted swimming trunks in front of a Christmas tree.
The pictures, taken by a college friend in 1982 when he was 18, demonstrate Weiner’s reputation at the State University of Plattsburgh as a flamboyant figure.
Speaking to the Enquirer, the friend said: ‘The cross dressing photos were taken during a holiday activity in Anthony’s college dorm when he was just a sophomore.
They were taken during the school’s traditional secret Santa event.
‘It was never quite clear whether one of Anthony’s challenges was to become a cross-dresser or if it was just some bizarre stunt he decided to do on his own.
‘The secret Santa was a three night event, and on another evening, Anthony showed up wearing skin tight swim briefs.
‘He was a very odd guy who went out of his way to do things purely for the shock value.’
A fellow member of Weiner’s New York Democratic delegation, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, said she’s heard from Weiner’s friends that the congressman is waiting for his wife to come home before making any decisions about his political future.
McCarthy also cited talk among Weiner’s friends about the possibility he could resign this week.
Weiner is on a temporary leave of absence from Congress, in treatment for an undisclosed disorder at an undisclosed location.
He has acknowledged exchanging messages and photos, which ranged from sexually suggestive to explicit, with several women on-line.
- Democrats hope Weiner will just quit and go away (capitolhillblue.com)
- With wife home, Congress hopes for Weiner exit (cbsnews.com)
- House Democrats hoping Weiner will quit on his own – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- Democrats defer action, hope Weiner will resign on his own (boston.com)
- House Democrats Hoping Weiner Will Quit on His Own – ABC News (news.google.com)
- Rep. Anthony Weiner’s Wife Huma Abedin Returns Home Amid Husband’s Sexting Scandal (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Decision time? Weiner’s wife returns (politico.com)
- House Dems step up pressure on Weiner (cbsnews.com)
- Pressure Mounts On Rep. Weiner To Resign Now That Wife Huma Has Returned From Overseas Trip (mediaite.com)
- Democratic tactic is to ignore Weiner flap – The Hill (news.google.com)