When does this madness end? Trains but No BRAINS….
“Circumstances demand we make adjustments by increasing funding to enhance rail safety and monitoring on commuter rail transit and screening who gets on Amtrak passenger trains, so that we can provide a greater level of security to the public,” the New York Democrat said at a news conference.
U.S. officials last week said evidence found after the raid on bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan indicated the al Qaeda leader or his associates had engaged in discussions or planning for a possible attack on a train inside the United States on September 11, 2011.
Schumer, citing U.S. intelligence analysts, said attacks were also considered on Christmas and New Year’s Day and following the president’s State of the Union address.
He called on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to expand the Secure Flight monitoring program, which cross-checks air travelers with the terror watch list in an attempt to prevent anyone on the “no-fly list” from boarding, for use on Amtrak.
Such a procedure would create an Amtrak “no-ride list” to keep suspected terrorists off the U.S. rail system, he said.
The September 11 Commission recommended in 2004 that the government check travelers’ names against terror watch lists before they board passenger trains or cruise ships, but such a program was not adopted.
Schumer noted that rail and port security grant funding was cut by $50 million under last month’s federal budget compromise, but he said developments warrant reconsideration and increased rail safety funding.
- Schumer proposes ‘no-ride list’ for Amtrak trains (msnbc.msn.com)
- Senator Proposes “No-Ride” List For Rail (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Schumer Calls For ‘Do Not Ride’ List For Amtrak (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- ‘No-ride’ list to target train terrorists (nydailynews.com)
- Schumer Seeks More Funding for Rail Safety After Terrorist Plan (businessweek.com)
- AMTRAK TURNS 40…CALLED A ‘MASSIVE FAILURE’ BY ITS FOUNDER: When the Founding Father of Amtrak… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Fear of Terrorism Spreads Across America (mountainrepublic.net)
- LIRR Commuters Face Service Disruptions Monday Following Amtrak Derailment (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Schumer Seeks More Funding for Rail Safety After Terrorist Plan – BusinessWeek (news.google.com)
- Amtrak, 15 states get $2 billion that Florida lost (seattletimes.nwsource.com)