Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels(R), a potential presidential candidate, announced Friday he plans to sign legislation that would prevent Planned Parenthood in the state from receiving Medicaid funds. When he does, Indiana will be the first state to take that step.
“I will sign HEA 1210 when it reaches my desk a week or so from now,” Daniels said. “I supported this bill from the outset, and the recent addition of language guarding against the spending of tax dollars to support abortions creates no reason to alter my position.”
There was some speculation over Daniels’ decision, because he has called for a “truce” on social issues in the 2012 presidential campaign, and because he has been open to family planning groups (though not abortion) in his time as governor of Indiana. Activists on both sides of the issue lobbied him heavily.
- ***VICTORY*** Ind. Gov. Daniels to sign Planned Parenthood bill (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
- Daily Benefactor News – Indiana Governor Daniels To Sign Bill Defunding Planned Parenthood (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Indiana Will Become the First State to Defund Planned Parenthood (slog.thestranger.com)
- Breaking: Mitch Daniels to sign bill defunding Indiana Planned Parenthood (hotair.com)
- Mitch Daniels Will Defund Indiana’s Planned Parenthood (newser.com)
- War is War! (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
- Indiana votes to defund Planned Parenthood (politico.com)
- A Bill to Defund Planned Parenthood (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Governor Mitch Daniels Makes Indiana First State To Cut Off Planned Parenthood Funding (alan.com)
- Indiana Governor Weighs Bill That Would Cut Planned Parenthood Funding and Mandate Lying to Women About Abortion (slog.thestranger.com)
- Hello, President Daniels: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- Indiana Votes To Cut Planned Parenthood Funding (npr.org)